Tuesday, February 21, 2012

French Dip


 I came up with this recipe about 10 years ago and have been making for my family since. It is one of their most favorites! This is one that I do not follow a recipe for so forgive me if the measurements are not exact. It's always a little of this and a little of that kinda recipe, but I'll do my best!

4-6 pound chuck roast (you can use another type if roast, but I like the chuck)
1 yellow onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 can cream of mushroom soup+1 can of water
a couple tbsp of beef paste or beef boullion cubes or 1 packet of dry Lipton beefy onion soup mix (I use whatever I have in my pantry for this)
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
2-3 tbsp soy sauce (I like the reduced sodium but I don't think it matters)
 1-2 fresh sprigs of rosemary, don't used dried here.
Any kind of hoagie rolls you like. 
Provolone cheese slices

First generously season roast with salt & pepper. In a large roasting pan brown roast on all sides over med-high heat. Add onion, garlic, soup, water, and beef seasoning. Cover and roast in oven @ 325-350 and cook about 4 1/2 hrs. Or until meat is super tender. Sometimes I will throw in some sliced carrots for the last hour of cooking. YUMM! So once meat is tender carefully remove and place in another roasting pan or any pan large enough and shred or pull the meat. Also take out all the onions and set aside with the meat. (carrots too if you added them) Reserve all the juices in the pan for your Au Jus. Place the reserved juices over the stove and heat over med-low heat. (it's already hot from the oven, we're just heating it enough to dissolve more beef boullion/beef paste) So add more beef boullion 1-2 cubes, or another tbsp of beef paste. Add about 1-2 cups water. Pour in your soy sauce and rosemary sprigs. (for a stronger rosemary flavor you can coarsley chop the rosemary first) Simmer on low about 20 minutes. While it's simmering you can assemble your sandwiches. Slice rolls, fill with meat on one side, cover meat with cheese and butter the other side since we are going to broil the sammys. Broil under your broiler watching closely till golden brown. Usually only takes about 2-3 minutes so don't walk away!! Serve sandwiches with Au Jus sauce for dipping. I like to serve these along with some roasted root vegetables. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!!


No comments:

Post a Comment