This recipe has been a family favorite at our house for many years! It's nutritious AND delicious. We eat ours over yogurt, with milk, and all by itself. Be careful... it is addictive!! Happy healthy eating!!
6 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup wheat bran
1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
3⁄4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (shelled)
1 cup raw sunflower seeds (shelled)
1⁄4 cup flax seed
2 cups flaked coconut
2 cups craisins
1 cup coconut oil plus
4 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup honey, plus
4 tablespoons honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
`1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 275.
- In a very large bowl mix together oats, wheat bran, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds.
- Combine in a sauce pan coconut oil, honey, vanilla, brown sugar, and salt.
- Heat on medium heat until all are dissolved and form a "syrup".
- Pour the "syrup" into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix very well, try to ensure every piece is evenly coated, stir, smash, stir.
- When all is mixed well stir in coconut and craisins.
- Spread mixture evenly over a large cookie sheet, gently pressing down.
- Bake at 275 for 40 minutes, then leaving pans in oven, turn up oven to 325 and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
- Stir granola just once when it comes out and leave it alone to cool, if there are clumps do not break them up.
- Allow to COOL COMPLETELY before removing from pan or serving.
- Store in an airtight container or gallon size freezer bags.
- Serve with milk, over yogurt, or eat it just
like it is. YUMMY!!!